Scholarship Programmes to Study in Lithuania
The Ministry of Education and Science of Lithuania provide many scholarships for Lithuanian and Baltic studies at the Lithuanian higher education institutions. The Education Exchanges Support Foundation is a national agency that runs many support/scholarship programmes for students who wish to study in Lithuania. Also, the higher education institutions
of Lithuanian offer scholarships to students.
Following are the scholarship programmes in Lithuania:
Scholarship for International Lithuanians' and Emigrants- State Studies Foundation
Emigrants and foreigners of Lithuanian descent are allowed to receive state scholarships and social allowance. The scholarship is given for one semester, inclusive of vacation period.
To know more about the scholarship, click here
Senator J.V. Fulbright’s Scholarship
Fulbright scholarship is for pupils who have taken up master’s and doctorate programmes or non-degree programmes. To get this scholarship, students must hold a bachelor’s degree or diploma. To know more about the Fulbright scholarship, click here
Education Exchanges Support Foundation
The Education Exchanges Support Foundation is a national agency that runs the following support programmes:
- State scholarships
Erasmus Mundus Programme
The Erasmus Mundus programme is for EU and other developing country students who wish to pursue masters and doctoral programmes approved by Erasmus Mundus in Lithuania. To know about the programme, click here
Lithuanian State Scholarship Programmes
Lithuanian state scholarship programme is for researchers, students and lectures who wish to carry our research or study at the research institution and the higher education institution in Lithuania respectively.
Types of Lithuanian State Scholarships
There are 4 kinds of state scholarships, and students or researchers can apply depending upon their country of residence:
- Type 1: Scholarships for Lithuanian (Baltic) studies
- Type 2: Scholarships for Lithuanian language and culture summer courses
- Type 3: Scholarships for short-term studies of all fields
- Type 4: Scholarships for research visits
Type 1: Scholarship for Full-time Master’s Studies
The Ministry of Education and Science of Lithuania provides Lithuanian state scholarships for full-time Master’s degree programme to citizens of following countries: China, Belarus, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Ukraine, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, and foreigners of Lithuanian descent who wish to study at a higher education institution in Lithuania.
Type 2: Scholarship for Lithuanian Language and Culture Summer Course
Education Exchanges Support Foundation provides scholarships to international researchers, students and lecturers for Lithuanian language and culture summer courses.
Eligible countries: United States of America, Belarus, Spain, Armenia, Philippines, Russia, Austria, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Spain, Uzbekistan, Poland, Croatia, Japan, Romania, Finland, Serbia, Israel, Greece, China, United Kingdom, Mongolia, Belarus, Italy, Switzerland, Georgia, Slovenia, India, Mexico, Sweden, Kazakhstan, and Ukraine.
Type 3: Scholarship for Short-term Studies and Research visits
Education Exchanges Support Foundation provides scholarships to international researchers, students and for short terms studies, along with the Lithuanian studies, and research visits.
The higher education institutions in Lithuania where Lithuanian (Baltic) studies is conducted:
- Siauliai University
- Vilnius university
- Vytautas Magnus University
- Lithuania University of Educational Sciences
- Klaipėda University
Eligible countries only for short-term Lithuanian studies: United States of America, Belarus, Spain, Armenia, Philippines, Russia, Austria, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Spain, Uzbekistan, Poland, Croatia, Japan, Romania, Finland, Serbia, Israel, Greece, China, United Kingdom, Mongolia, Belarus, Italy, Switzerland, Georgia, Slovenia, India, Mexico, Sweden, Kazakhstan, and Ukraine.
Eligible countries for short-term Lithuanian studies and research visits: Turkey, Belarus, Poland, Czech Republic, Belgium, Japan, Germany, Mexico, China, Slovakia, Denmark, Italy, Switzerland, Estonia, Israel, Hungary, and Latvia.
Type 4: Scholarships for Free Movers' Lithuanian (Baltic) Studies and Summer Courses in Lithuanian Language and Culture
Eligibility: All the countries that are not stated above are eligible for this scholarship.
- The candidate must be a researcher, student or lecturer in an international research institution and higher education institution.
- Candidate must possess an official acceptance letter that is being provided by the research institution or higher education institution in Lithuania. (This criterion is not applicable to candidates who want to go for summer courses in Lithuanian language and culture). The letter must have the details on the subjects undertaken by the students and the number of credits each subject holds; and for research scholarship the letter must include the research area information.
- For study scholarship: Candidates must have a minimum of 25 credit points per 1 semester in the area selected, excluding Lithuanian studies
- For Lithuanian studies, candidates must have 30 ECTS credits per 1 semester.
A monthly stipend is given to students for any levels of higher studies- bachelor, master and doctorate.
For Lithuanian studies: A monthly stipend is given to students for any levels of higher studies- bachelor, master and doctorate, for Lithuanian studies. A stipend of about 1.950 Lt is given to students; 3.250 Lt to lecturers and researchers.
For Summer programmes in Lithuanian language and culture: A monthly stipend is given to students, researchers and lecturers for any levels of higher studies- bachelor, master and doctorate, for summer courses in Lithuanian language and culture. A stipend of about 1.950 Lt is given to students; 3.250 Lt to lecturers and researchers
For research scholarships: Researchers are given a stipend by the Republic of Belarus. Also, the Republic of Lithuanian gives a monthly stipend of about 1.560 to the researchers of all areas. Doctoral degree students who are allowed for research visit also get stipend of about 780 Lt from Lithuania.
Application Ways and Means
Candidates must fill out an application form
. Take a print of it, sign and submit it along with the required documents by post to the Education Exchanges Support Foundation.
Address to which the application must be sent-
Higher Education Programmes Unit
Education Exchanges Support Foundation
Gelezinio Vilko str. 12 01112 Vilnius, Lithuania
- Official letter from the research institution and higher education institution stating the status of researcher or student
- Academic credentials: Must have records of last 2 semesters from the candidate’s research institution or higher education institution.
- Letter of recommendation: At least 2 from home research institution or higher education institution (as applicable)
- Official acceptance letter issued by the host research institution and higher education institution
- A copy of a valid identity card
- English language certificate: TOEFL or IELTS
** All copies must be certified as true copies of original documents by the issuing institution or a Notary Public (NP).
Nordplus higher education promotes cooperation between Nordic and Baltic countries. It encourages mobility of pupils and teachers from higher education institutions in Baltic and Nordic countries. The Nordplus programme is for students who are in their 1st or 2nd cycles, and wish to study or work in countries that are part of the Nordplus programme.
Candidate must apply for the programme to the Department of International Relations at their higher education institution. To know more about the Nordplus programme, click here
State Funding for Full-time Studies
The main aim of this funding is to get more and more international students to the higher education institutions in Lithuania. This funding opportunity is for students who have been accepted to a 2nd cycle full-time studies, i.e. Master’s studies at a higher education institution in Lithuania.
- Candidate must have finished the first study cycle
- Candidate must submit an acceptance confirmation to a Lithuanian higher education institution for full-time studies in the Master’s degree programme.
To know more about the state financing, click here
State Financing for Part-time Studies or Scientific Activity
The state financing is available to students of any level, researchers, teachers and scientist who want to carry out research or pursue part-time studies in Lithuania. Following studies/activities are given state financing:
- Internship- study related or scientific
- Lithuanian language (Baltic) studies
- Lithuanian language and culture summer courses of 3 weeks to 1 month.